In my family, the holiday meal starts early. Appetizers go out a couple hours before the actual dinner does because we all get together and sit around and drink and catch up because it’s likely been about a month since we last really saw each other. So whatever food we have out can’t be something that has to stay hot or be kept cold. Although depending on the temperature outside, we do sometimes get a small crockpot out and put some lil smokies in barbecue sauce out for munching. But our go-to, appetizers are chips and dips.
Any given function in our family requires at least one dip to be out when everyone arrives. Typically it’s a spinach dip that my mom makes. It’s divine and my cousin requests it any time we have a family meal.
But my favorite is a Crab Rangoon Dip with Wanton Chips.
I am a sucker for Chinese food, and every time we order I HAVE to get Crab Rangoon. It’s a non-negotiable thing. My husband knows. My parents know. Heck, my best friend probably knows. So when mom brought it up as something to try I said YES PLEASE. Now I will admit, this one is probably better warm, but I’ll eat it either way when it’s fresh.
Just like most dips we make, it’s pretty straight forward as far as preparations go. Mix the ingredients together in a bowl, put it in an oven safe dish, sprinkle some cheese over it, bake it, and serve! The Wanton chips are the same: cut, bake (or if you’ve got time, fry), and serve. Super simple, super easy, and oh so tasty! Once it’s complete, put your chips in a bowl and set everything out for your guests to enjoy.
Look down below for the recipe, and leave me a comment when you try it out!
- 8 oz of cream cheese (one packet)
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 12 oz of crab meat (imitation crab works really well)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- Butter or cooking spray
- Wanton wrappers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic and pepper in bowl and mix completely (should be nice and creamy with no lumps of cream cheese).
- Stir in 1/3 of the mozzarella, half of the Parmesan, and all of your crab meat. Spread into an oven safe baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes until warm all the way through.
- Cut wanton wrappers to desired shape and size (I just do a simple diagonal cut).
- Lay on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray or brush on butter.
- Bake for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.